The Journey: Humility - Day one (work in progress)

Humility is Hard - A Meditation on Some Aspects of Humility ...

Philippians 2:3-11

English Standard Version (ESV)
Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,[a] who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant,[b] being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.


2 Corinthians 12

New International Version (NIV)

Paul’s Vision and His Thorn

12 I must go on boasting. Although there is nothing to be gained, I will go on to visions and revelations from the Lord. I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows. And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that no one is permitted to tell. I will boast about a man like that, but I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses. Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say, or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.



In looking at these two areas in the Bible one thing that sticks out to me is the fact that through weakness or humility there was power given. In 2 Corinthians is states that "Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me." Paul from my understanding was a well educated man who receive regular revelations from God but in reading this passage it is seen that he admits that through his humility God gifts him with power. Also, in Philippians I see that even Christ himself had to empty himself and humble himself so that we could have the gifts of Salvation. Furthermore, through Christ humility he rose from the dead will all power in his hands. Emptiness and humility allows for God to truly flow in His will through us. If we have any residue of "Us" in the mix than we could ultimately hinder what God is trying to do for those that our gifts are intended to minister too.

Also, having gifts of the spirit are not so much a matter of having a "badge of acceptance" into the elite club of Christ but rather is a sign of trust. It is intended not for our Glory or to validate us but rather for God's glory and to help those that we minister too. So when thinking out about the gifts of the spirit and humility I see it as a gift that I am entrusted with that is intended for you (those I minister too). Having the gifts and holding on to them, not sharing them, or not working in them does no one any good. It is like a doctor having the cure to cancer but not sharing it with anyone. Gifts are intended to help those around us.... It is just that, a gift. God has given me a piece of him to share with others in love and with a humble spirit that this is not about me but about helping you for the Glory of God.

Furthermore, seeing a spiritual gifts as a badge or a bragging right can show a person's mindset. If I were to be able to meet some one like that and say anything to them. I would say for them to change their way of thinking. Spiritual Gifts is not "your gift" it is God's gift that we are to share to those hurting and need ministering too.


Emptying yourself gives room for God to fill you with his presence. In ministering to others one must know and completely empty themselves to see it is about the person that you are ministering too. Furthermore, having people give kudos for how ministering went, to me, is almost insulting. How can we take any credit for God's work. Don't congratulate me on ministering, praise God for what he did in that person. I am an empty and humble shell for God to use. Arrogance is like a nasty smelling cologne on a handsome man. It takes away from the beauty of what God is doing.

My Gifts:

-Spirit of discernment - Works to it's full potential when I am emptied and humble so God can show me what I need to see and minister to me what he wants me to do or not do.

- Speaking in tongues - When I am emptied and humbled to allow the union and harmony of my physical man and spirit to communicate, tongues will flow. Furthermore, spiritual message can be revealed for the good of me and those around me.

- Prayer or intercessory prayer - Humbling and emptying myself out allows for my prayers to reach new levels in God. It allows for my prayers to go from "God please can I have? God Help me? God please fix this?" To war cries that defeat and demolish the enemies plans in my life and those around me. Prayers are no longer elementary prayers but prayers of authority with the anointing that God has called them to have. Prayers that heal in supernatural ways. Prayers the break bondage under the anointing. But this only comes in humility and allowing God's movement through me.

Comments

Popular Posts